*This post may have affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure statement here.
There are many benefits that books bring us and it’s more fun if we read them as a family. Here you’ll learn how to start and organize an incredible book club at home for kids. And step by step to organize meetings to talk about kid’s stories and books.
In LoveMadelineElizabeth we are fond of reading. And we also want boys and girls to get bitten by the reading bug so that they are encouraged to read as many more books as possible.
So that they let their incredible imagination fly and so that they discover unimaginable worlds sitting comfortably on the sofa at home.
So, without further delay, today we propose you to organize a book club with the children at home.
↓PIN THIS FOR LATER↓
What is a book club at home and why organize one at home
What is a reading club?
Well, some very fun meetings at home that are made to discuss a book.
The idea is to introduce a book, each one reads it and sets a date for a meeting in which that book is discussed and commented.
If we liked it, what we have learned … At the end of the meeting, you choose a new story and start again.
The reading club is designed to be done in a group but, if you cannot or cannot find a way to set schedules, you can do it alone at home.
In this case, the parents will be both moderators and reading partners.
Did you think it’s something only grandparents do?
Well, nothing of that, it is also an excellent activity to do with the smallest of the house.
You want to know why? Keep reading!
The incredible benefits of the book club
There are many benefits that books bring us and if we read them as a family.
And as part of a very select club, then those benefits are multiplied by two:
– The interest of boys and girls in reading is awakened.
– Reading proficiency improves greatly.
– They acquire new vocabulary, know the grammar and spelling rules, and gain fluency.
– New books and tastes by genres or authors are discovered.
– Bonds are created with family and friends.
– The little ones are motivated as well as proud to belong to the club.
– On the other hand, verbal expression and respect for speaking turns are worked on.
– And finally, boys and girls have a great time!
Ideas to organize this group to read altogether
Ingredients to organize a book club at home with the children:
– Readers are eager to pick up a book.
– Books and stories according to the age of the little ones.
– A coordinator (mom and dad) to help them with the reading.
Steps to follow to organize the book club at home:
1. Think of a name for the book
If you want to start off on the right foot and have the children cheer up with the reading club, there is nothing like letting them choose the name.
You will see what cool ideas they have!
2. Prepare the books
They must be chosen according to the age and tastes of your children and their friends.
So that you all have the same, you can first check if it is a story that you already have at home.
If not, you can pull the options of asking it to a family member or friend, looking for it in the library or buying it.
If the end is going to be your option, you can create a special corner on the shelf that says: The coolest book club of all time.
3. Explorers to read!
Read the book with interest and great excitement.
Do not hesitate to give your child all the help he needs.
Whether you have to read the story because he does not yet know it or he wants you to sit next to him to listen to it.
4. Organize the meeting to comment on the book
Once you have read the book, touch the most exciting thing, the meeting at home!
Set the date and time, prepare some healthy appetizers to share, and prepare to spend a most entertaining afternoon.
To prevent children from being too distracted, tell them that the book is going to be discussed first and then they can have a little free play.
What is the role of Dad and Mom
The role of the parents is none other than to organize the meeting and to act as coordinators and moderators.
To prevent all children from speaking at the same time, take turns.
For those who are most shy, you can ask specific short questions such as:
- What is the protagonist’s name?
- What did you like to do?
- Can you find what you were looking for?
Reading is very enriching, so leave room in the meeting for personal opinions:
- Did you like the book?
- What did you like the most?
- And what less?
- Would you change something?
- What would you do if you were in the protagonist’s place?
Another ideal activity is to suggest that they draw a picture of the story on the day of the meeting
or that each one does it at home and then share it with the rest.
Surely they are very excited that everyone sees his wonderful drawings.
Extra tips to make the story club a success
We finish with some extra tips that will surely be of great help:
– Always choose books according to the age of the children and that you also see that draws their attention.
First of all, let them see what the story or fable is about to see if it is to their liking.
– Opt for books and educational stories, of course, but also for those that are fun because they will help encourage creativity.
– If one day you don’t feel like reading, nothing happens.
It is an activity to motivate reading if they see it as an obligation you will get just the opposite, that they get discouraged and lose interest.
– Parents must be moderators, coordinators, listeners, and also very patient. Only then can you have the success you expect.
– Introduce complementary activities:
A drawing to illustrate the story, a reading card, let the children ask the parents questions to see if they have understood the story.
We have achieved it! We have created our own reading book club at home with kids, what a vision!
15 Book Club at Home Stories
- Just Like Me
- The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
- EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
- Dory Fantasmagory
- Mercy Watson to the Rescue
- Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid
- Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things
- There Are No Bears in This Bakery
- Narwhal on a Sunny Night
- Humphrey’s Really Wheely Racing Day
- Absolutely Alfie and the Furry, Purry Secret
- Super Burp! #1
↓PIN THIS FOR LATER↓
WHAT TO READ NEXT: