Easy and Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms
You have likely arrived at this article because you are looking for easy and healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms. Then I’ve got you covered!
So stick around till the end of this post. Because I will be sharing some healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms and the basic requirements for healthy breastfeeding snacks.
Breastfeeding can bring fulfillment and joy to both mother and child. These feelings are enhanced by the hormones prolactin and oxytocin, which incorporate the way for a nurturing and loving relationship between the mother and child.
However, taking into account the hectic routine of a new mother, too much attention is given to the baby, and the mother’s nutrition is often neglected. As a result, both the quality and amount of breast milk are affected.
What makes healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms
Following are the three basic requirements for healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms:
Any breastfeeding snack should be nutritious. After pregnancy, your responsibilities don’t decrease. They increase.
You cannot eat your favorite unhealthy food after delivery, not for a few months, because whatever you eat goes to your baby.
So, as long as you are breastfeeding, you should eat healthy and nutritious foods. You should opt for whole grains, nuts, organic fruits, and vegetables that give you the extra boost you need for energy.
2- Easy to prepare
Being a mom is a full-time job and you don’t have time to make the snacks you’ve eaten before that took a lot of effort and a lot of time.
That’s why you should look for snacks that are easy to make and give you instant energy. The ideal healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms require minimal effort and less preparation time.
3- Lactation support
Some foods like oatmeal are believed to improve lactation and milk flow. So it becomes important to eat foods that aid in breastfeeding.
If you have trouble producing milk, you should include breastfeeding foods in your diet.
So what snacks to eat while breastfeeding? Keep on reading.
10 Easy and Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms
It is recommended to have a snack every 2-3 hours to maximize energy. The following is a list of the top ten quick and healthy snacks for
breastfeeding moms that taste great and provide great nutrition for your baby.
1- Mixture of nuts and dried fruits
Nuts and dried fruits are an immediate source of energy and essential nutrients such as fiber and potassium. They are very easy to make.
- Nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, and the like)
- Dried fruit
- Combine equal parts of nuts and dried fruits.
- Add an extra crunch by throwing in mini pretzels or air-roasted popcorn, along with toasted coconut or sunflower seeds. If you like spices, also add a little chili powder.
- Eat a handful once or twice a day, as suggested by your doctor.
2- Boiled eggs and chocolate milk
The combination of eggs and chocolate milk may sound weird but be assured of a protein-rich snack that will start milk production immediately.
- Chocolate sauce
- A glass of milk
- Boil the eggs for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut it in half and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Take a glass of milk and add chocolate sauce to it and mix well.
- Enjoy boiled eggs and delicious chocolate milk.
3- Banana and rice cake
Banana is a nutritious fruit, packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Making a rice cake and adding a slice of banana on top makes it a great snack.
- Cook the rice well.
- Mash it and shape it the way you want.
- Cut a piece of banana and garnish on top of the rice cake.
4- Dark chocolate and raspberries
Mothers who crave chocolate can use this snack. Dark chocolate is healthier than milk chocolate and is also rich in antioxidants that counteract the harmful effects of free radicals in the human body.
You can mix dark chocolate with most fruits. But the best combination is dark chocolate with raspberry, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dark chocolate
- Mix the dark chocolate.
- Add some raspberries to it.
- You can also eat dark chocolate bars along with raspberries.
5- Hummus and celery
Hummus is rich in proteins. This can be taken with chopped celery sticks. This is nutritious, tasty, and an effortless snack to munch. You can also try hummus with crackers or vegetables if you don’t have celery.
- Take some already prepared hummus in a bowl.
- Finely chop celery stems.
- Use the hummus as a dip and enjoy celery with it.
6- Dates filled with peanut butter and walnuts
The dates contain a lot of iron and fiber. This snack is easy to prepare and saves time. This is an ideal snack for moms with a sweet tooth and can be taken when you’re hungry.
- 2 dates
- 4 walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Cut the dates lengthwise. Remove and discard the wells.
- A small dollop of peanut butter is spread on each piece of dates.
- Place two other slices on each slice of peanut butter.
- Place it on a plate and chop the walnuts on it.
- Enjoy this great dish.
7- Oats and Nut Waffles
Oats and nuts are a great source of fiber and slow-release fats.
- Whole grain flour
- Baking powder
- Oats for quick cooking
- Chopped nuts
- Sliced peaches (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine eggs, honey, butter, and milk in a small bowl.
- Stir this in the other bowl and mix well.
- Fold in both oats and nuts.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron until it turns golden brown.
- Top up with some fresh fruit if you like.
8- Cottage cheese with fresh fruits and vegetables
Cottage cheese is a healthy source of protein that is good for breastfeeding mothers. Mothers can choose different fruits and vegetables for this.
It’s also high in calcium, so it strengthens bone and boosts immunity. A top coat of fresh fruit, such as pineapple, helps soften the flavor and add dietary fiber.
- Cottage cheese
- Fruits or vegetables
- Prepare the curd cheese.
- Mix it with cut fruits or vegetables of your choice.
- You can also flavor it if you like.
9- Fresh fruits with Greek yogurt
The advantage of Greek yogurt is that it has twice as much protein as regular yogurt, so it’s the perfect snack for nursing moms.
Add a serving of Greek yogurt to a tablespoon of toasted nuts (almonds, pecans, peanuts, and the like) or 1-2 tablespoons of whole grains. Take half a banana, berries, or orange on the side.
- Nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.) or whole grains
- Greek yogurt
- Chop the nuts.
- Take these chopped nuts and yogurt in a blender and mix well.
- Your refreshing and tasty snack is ready.
10- Apples and tuna
Canned light tuna in itself is a great topping for crackers or even bread. If you don’t want to cook and are looking for a quick snack, this could be the answer.
However, a rarely known combination is one of tuna with apples. Mixing tuna with chopped apple pieces results in a delicious combination.
Tuna is lean meat, rich in protein that aids weight loss and also helps produce melatonin.
- Canned light tuna
- Prepare the tuna.
- Add some sliced apple pieces.
- You can also make a salad by mixing some vegetables with it.
- NOTE: keep in mind that cans of light tuna should be consumed in limited amounts while breastfeeding.
Final Thoughts About Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms
Doctors often suggest that breastfeeding moms take serious care of themselves and the best way to do this is to take care of their nutrition.
This is because their bodies are too busy using calories for milk production. An additional 450 to 500 kilocalories (kcal) of healthy food calories per day is recommended for well-nourished breastfeeding mothers as per CDC.
Some experts believe that calorie counting is very subjective and cannot be generalized because each mother’s body and needs are different.
Eating healthy snacks will get the right kind of food into your system so you can fully commit to motherhood. Eating healthy and drinking enough fluids will result in an increased supply of quality milk for your baby.
Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms Related Articles:
If you liked this article and want to save it to read later, please save the image below to your Breastfeeding Pinterest board. Thank you!
And If you’re looking for more breastfeeding tips, please follow us on Pinterest where we share all kinds of great tips we find every day.